SOLD OUT: Building Great APIs from the Ground Up
There are lots of frameworks, tools, and patterns for creating APIs for the Web. But what does it really take? What are the essentials we all need to know? And which tools should every API developer have on hand, ready to use? This workshop, based on the new book "Designing and Building Great APIs" from Pragmatic Publishers answers these and other key questions on how to design, build, deploy, and manage quality APIs.
In this workshop, we'll start with the basics of simple, elegant API design. Just like good UI ensure quality apps, good APIs make it easy to build and maintain top-notch APIs. We'll then cover the three-step process for turning your designs into functional APIs: Sketch-Prototype-Build. Next, we'll explore the basics of API testing and security. Finally, we'll deploy our working, tested, and secure APIs into the cloud and make them easy for find and ready to use.
What You'll Learn
In this jam-packed one day workshop, you'll learn:
- The power of an API-First approach
- The Sketch/Prototype/Build Paradigm
- The importance of testing and security to ensure a stable, reliable API
- The advantage of git-based deployment for posting your changes to production
What You'll Use
Tools/Technologies covered in this workshop include:
- Curl and wget
- Git and Github
- NodeJS and npm
- Apiary Blueprint, OpenAPI/Swagger, and ALPS description formats
- Postman and Newman test platform
- Auth0 security tooling
- Heroku and git-based deployment
- Many other command-line tools and utilities
Who Should Attend
This workshop will be a great place to explore APIs and test out your ideas and skills with fellow attendees. Whether you are new to APIs and web programming looking to get started or a seasoned professional searching for tips and advice on how to make the most of your API experience, this workshop is for you.