An Introduction to Systems and Service Monitoring with Prometheus
Since IT systems are a critical component of most businesses, we need ensure that they are always available and working correctly. This talk gives an overview of different monitoring and observability approaches that can help us achieve that goal and then present Prometheus as a popular option in this space.
Prometheus is an opinionated metrics collection and monitoring system that is particularly well-suited for dynamic cloud-based environments. To provide maximum insight, it offers a dimensional data model and powerful query language. With an alerting model that integrates seamlessly with the query language, it allows you to define precise and actionable alerts. This talk will give an overview of Prometheus and its core features and design principles and explain where Prometheus fits into the monitoring system landscape.
What will the audience learn from this talk?
- Where the need for systems and service monitoring comes from.
- What different approaches to monitoring and observability exist.
- How Prometheus fits into this landscape and what its basic architecture looks like.
- How Prometheus's data model improves over previous ones
- How Prometheus's query language helps to gain better insight into collected data.
- How Prometheus's architectural simplicity and efficiency makes it easy to get started.
- Why Prometheus works well for monitoring dynamic environments like cluster schedulers and VMs on cloud providers.
Does it feature code examples and/or live coding?
Prerequisite attendee experience level: